Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Linux in da house

I finally got the Internet working in my apartment after a lot of fiddling; in the end I don't know exactly what I did to get it working, but the fact that it does work is all I care about for the moment.

The first thing I did was install the newest Ubuntu. Wooooooow. Installation was incredibly seamless and I am very happy with everything so far. I was living in the ancient days of Breezy Badger with no internet connection before (and Windows at work), so this is quite an adjustment for me. If you haven't used Linux on your PC before, I highly, HIGHLY, recommend Ubuntu, even if you don't know much about computers. I'll say it right now, and I'll say it again: Linux blows the pants off Windows any day of the week. The worst problem is that most businesses write their programs for Windows so there isn't nearly the selection of software in Linux. But for personal use, Linux can't be beat (I'd say OS X is comparable, maybe even better, but it's waaay overpriced so I'll still stick with Linux).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't say I've had the same experience with Linux. When I was using Ubuntu I spent vastly more of my time tweaking configurations and fiddling with things. I never could resolve some weird network issues that caused Linux internet connectivity to be vastly slower than Windows. That was the deal breaker.

Oh yeah, I never could get any of the videos on Apple's web site to play on Linux. Video codecs are a mess on Linux. Arguably not their fault (it's all about patent BS), but still...that's not my problem. I'll stick with Vista. Far less headache. Now I can spend my valuable time reading your blog.