Saturday, November 10, 2007

A Tale of Default Behavior

I built a new computer a couple months ago and, naturally enough, installed Windows XP (for games). Since XP comes with Internet Explorer 7 and I have only used Firefox for years, I figured I'd try IE7 just to see what it was like. The things I immediately noticed were that if IE7 is closed with multiple tabs open, when it is reopened, it will reopen all these tabs. I had never seen this feature before in Firefox and I really liked it. The second thing I noticed was IE7's a lack of "Undo Close Tab" like in Firefox, which I really miss. To make a long story short, IE7 started crashing fairly frequently, while Firefox never crashed - ever - so I switched back. But I missed the reopening of tabs when starting Firefox that I made the effort to see if it could be done (the effort turned out to be about 5 seconds of Googling it). Turns out there is an option to reopen tabs from the previous session under Tools->Options->When Firefox starts. Ahhhh, that's the ticket. I guess that just goes to show how important the default behavior for an application is, even it can be configured to behave differently.

Anyhoo, here is an in-depth analysis of the Excel floating point rendering bug.

No comments: